The city of Crystal did not have a long-range planning document for their park and trail system. They needed to establish a comprehensive 20-year vision for the city’s parks, open spaces, and trails that thoughtfully served the needs of the community.
The first step was to implement a robust public engagement process lead by WSB that included the Parks and Recreation Commission, City Council and staff, and various community groups. Clear communication during the engagement process resulted in valuable insights and stakeholder agreement on major plan elements. We were able to develop a 20-year CIP for the park system and individual master plans for Crystal’s four community parks and one destination park that were based on implementing recommendations from the system plan.
KEY PROJECT ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Park system inventory for each of the city’s parks
- Collaborative public engagement resulting in consensus driven process
- Park and Trail System Master Plan
- Phased implementation plan and 20-year CIP for the park system
- Preparation of key individual park master plans and cost estimates from conceptual designs to final master plans