The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is accepting grant applications for local roadway improvement projects that benefit outdoor recreation and open spaces. The DNR has allocated $4 million to the State Park Road Account Program to improve both public and private access to parks, trails, lakes and rivers.
A few key things to know about this grant program:
- Townships, cities and county governments can apply
- Focused on enhancing county roadway access to state parks, trails, wilderness areas and recreation facilities
- Consideration is also given to projects that address safety issues to these facilities
- Local cost sharing and amount of traffic directly related to the site are key selection criteria
- Roadway construction, right-of-way acquisition and wetland mitigation are eligible activities
- Applications are due November 1, 2020.
WSB is experienced in assisting, preparing and reviewing project grant applications. In 2019, this program provided $4.8 million in state grants for 10 different projects around the state. This annual program has also funded more than $1 million of campground road improvements for Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. WSB led the roadway design and construction for this project, which is now underway.
For more information, visit the Minnesota Department of Transportation website or contact Scott Mareck at 320.534.5948 or email@example.com.